Can you freeze jackfruit? Are you wondering about freezing jackfruit, then this article is for you.
Jackfruit is one of the largest tree fruit available in the world. Nowadays it’s becoming more popular worldwide, and you can find it easily on the market stores.
Jackfruit has both male and female flowers on a tree and has pear-shaped. They are made of fleshy, slippery petals and have yellow, green color when they become unripe.
When jackfruit starts becoming mature, then they look bright yellow. The taste of the jackfruit is delightful, but the flavor similar to pulled pork when cooked.
They have a short trunk, but its height reaches around 10-20m, which becomes 33-66 feet. The trunk comes to a height of 30-80cm.
The scientific name of jackfruit is Artocarpus heterophyllus.
Can You Freeze Jackfruit
Yes, you can freeze jackfruit because they are not super juicy. If you want to save it for later, it’s the best option to freeze jackfruit.
The jackfruit’s flesh is dense and sweet, but many people don’t like it due to its terrible smell.
Whether you have fresh, raw, cooked, canned package jackfruit, you can freeze them. Let’s discuss how to store jackfruit to make it fresh for long periods.
Simple is that you can freeze jackfruit, but if you have cooked, canned jackfruit, make sure you know about the freezing method properly.
How To Freeze Jackfruit
The weight of the jackfruit is 10–25 kg. If you want to store the whole jackfruit inside the freezer, it’s not recommended because it may be difficult for you to keep it, also consume more space in your fridge.
It would be better if you cut jackfruit before freezing.
The reason why we need to cut jackfruit because they are very sticky. While cutting jackfruit, make sure to oil your hand and knife that will help you to hold the jackfruit easily.
- Jackfruit has many bulbs inside the fruit. Remove the bulbs of fruit and place them separately in the cookie sheet for freezing. The cookie sheet is a tray that is also used to cooked biscuits and cakes.
- Once you know bulbs are appropriately frozen, take it out from the fridge and place them into the freezer-safe bag.
- Squeeze out the air from the freezer bag before putting them in the fridge.
Remove all bulbs that are available inside the jackfruit and freeze them separately.
How To Freeze Raw Jackfruit
Do you have raw jackfruit and want to freeze them? Follow the instructions.
- First of all, prepare a large baking sheet and line it with a silicone baking mat. The silicon mate is not stack baking surface, which is made from high-quality food-grade silicone.
- Spread out the jackfruit arils on a baking sheet. Make sure to keep them separate so they will not overlap with each other.
- Once you put all arils on the baking sheet, place them in the freezer for 2-3 hours. There is no exit time, but once you know, all the arils are individually frozen.
- Transfer completely frozen jackfruit into the freezer bag. It would be better if you go for multiple freeze safe bags. If you don’t have a freezer-safe bag, you can go for an airtight container.
You can freeze raw jackfruit but while using jackfruit, take out individual pieces according to your needs.
Can You Freeze Cooked Jackfruit
- If you want to freeze cooked jackfruit, it would be better if you transfer it without sauce. It doesn’t mean that you can’t transfer it with sauce. You can transfer it with sauce but make sure to place them in a freezer-safe bag.
- Squeeze out the air from the bag as possible.
- While freezing jackfruit flat at first, If you don’t have a safe freezer bag, you can use an airtight container with an airtight fitting lid.
You can freeze cooked jackfruit but ensure to place them in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Packaged Jackfruit
The package jackfruit freeze well, If the package is vacuum-sealed, you can directly freeze them because before sealing the package, the air is removed manually.
Once you opened the package and decided to transfer the leftover jackfruit, you can freeze them as well. It’s essential to cover leftover jackfruit properly before freezing.
You can freeze package jackfruit but squeeze out the air from container, freezer safe bag.
Can You Freeze Canned Jackfruit
You can freeze canned jackfruit but make sure you are not freezing them in the original packing. Open the original and package and por them in the airtight container.
Make sure to leave one inch of space at the top so it will freeze well.
While freezing cooked, fresh, canned jackfruit, don’t forget to label the container.
How To Deforest Jackfruit
If you want to deforest canned, freshly cooked jackfruit, it’s quite easy, transfer the container from the freezer to the fridge and leave them for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
Freezing may change the texture and taste of the jackfruit. Never refreeze jackfruit again, and again it will lose their quality and its delicious taste.
You can also reheat the thawed persevere jackfruit in the microwave.
Don’t refreeze jackfruit again and again.
How To Cut Jackfruit
If you want to cut jackfruit easily steps by steps, watch the video.
How Long Does Jackfruit Last
|Whole/Cut Jackfruit||Room Temperature||Refrigerator||Freezer|
|Whole jackfruit last||1 Month||N/A||N/A|
|Cut jackfruit last||3-4 hours||1 week||1 month|
|BBQ jackfruit last||1-2 hours||N/A||3-4 days|
Before eating Jackfruit, it’s essential to know about its shelf life. Jackfruit has a very high content of sugar; that’s why they don’t last long. You must need to know how long Jackfruit lasts at room temperature, fridge, and freezer.
Whole Jackfruit At Room Temperature:
The whole Jackfruit lasts for a month at room temperature. It would be better if you consume them within one month. After that, it may lose their taste and texture, and bacteria can quickly grow on Jackfruit after a month at room temperature.
Cut Jackfruit At Last At Room Temperature:
The fresh-cut Jackfruit lasts 2-3 days at room temperature. It doesn’t mean that you can use cut Jackfruit for 2-3 days because it depends on the temperature. If the temperature is too hot, so it may last for a few hours or a day.
Cut Jackfruit Last In The Fridge:
You cannot put the whole Jackfruit in the fridge because it doesn’t fit properly and will consume more space. It’s recommended to cut the Jackfruit and place it separately in the freezer-safe bag to place them in the fridge. The cut Jackfruit will last for a week in the fridge.
Cut Jackfruit Last In The Freezer:
Once you freeze the cut Jackfruit so it will last for a month, But it’s recommended to store them properly in the freezer. You don’t know how to store Jackfruit, continue reading.
For fantastic taste, eat jackfruit as soon as possible.
How To Store Jackfruit
To save jackfruit for later, it would be better if you freeze them, but if you have any plane to consume them within a week so you can put them in the fridge.
- If your jackfruit is not completely ripened, leave it on the counter to ripen fast.
- Once you know it completely ripens and suitable for eating, cut it(if you don’t know how to cut jackfruit, watch the above video).
- Wrap the cut pieces of jackfruit in the plastic wrap or place them in the airtight container.
- Freeze it for 1-2 months.
Do you want to consume jackfruit right now? Place them in the fridge. If you want to save it for later, freeze them.
How To Select Jackfruit
If you want to pick jackfruit, make sure to look at these things.
- First of all, look for dark spots. If it’s soft, it means it completely ripens. If you push your finger inside the dark spots, it will be soft.
- Smell the jackfruit. If you feel that it’s the smell is sweet, then it means you should go for it.
- Make sure that the jackfruit is bright green or yellow in color.
If you want to pick ripe and fresh jackfruit, look for the above things.
How To Tell If Jackfruit Has Gone Bad
There are few signs of lousy Jackfruit, so before consuming Jackfruit, check for these signs.
When it comes to the smell, Jackfruit has a sweet smell. If you feel any bad smell, it means it’s bad. The bad Jackfruit may have spoiled the fermented smell.
Once the Jackfruit is bad, the texture will be soggy, watery. Jackfruit goes bad quickly because of sugary content. It also depends on the condition that you have cooked, ripe, canned Jackfruit.
Don’t eat bad jackfruit because its flavor may not be freshly, just like the fresh one.
What should not be eaten after eating jackfruit?
According to research, once you eat the jackfruit, don’t drink milk because it may consider a dangerous combination with jackfruit. According to a study, don’t eat any dairy products after eating the jackfruit. It may cause skin disease or upset your stomach.
Can you overcook jackfruit?
It’s not recommended to overcook jackfruit because most of the jackfruit recipes have to resemble pulled pork. The jackfruit will quick rapidly instead of pork, so if you tried to overcook jackfruit, it might lose its texture and taste. If you want to enjoy the sweet taste of jackfruit, consume them as soon as possible.
How do you store jackfruit seeds for a long time?
If you want to consume jackfruit later so, you will need to store them properly. Follow the instruction to keep your jackfruit for a long time.
- Take dry clean and add sand in the large container(sand must be cleaned appropriately).
- Put jackfruit seeds in various layers, repeat this process until the jackfruit seeds and sand-filled.
- It’s also considered the best way to keep your jackfruit fresh for many days without refrigerating.
What can I do with frozen jackfruit?
If you have a dozen jackfruit and don’t know what I should do with this, shred or slice the jackfruit, and you can use it as an ingredient to tossed with rice, pasta. Many people love to add jackfruit in the soup as well.
How long does it take to fry jackfruit?
To fried jackfruit completely, it usually takes ten minutes. It doesn’t mean that jackfruit will fry in pan-fry within 10 minutes. It also depends on the heat stove. Heat 2 Tbs to fried your jackfruit quickly.
That was all about freezing, storing, jackfruit. If you have read the whole article, you will know how you can freeze raw, cooked, canned, package jackfruit to keep it fresh for a long time.
You can easily deforest jackfruit, but don’t refreeze them. Again and again, it may lose texture taste.
It would be better if you cut your jackfruit before storing it in the fridge. You can keep the whole jackfruit. It will consume more space.
If you have freeze jackfruit properly, it will last for 1-2 months. Consume your jackfruit before going bad.
How do you recognize bad jackfruit? Instead of the above signs, let us know in the comments section if there are other signs.